Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Did I make Disciples today?

Did I make Disciples today? That was the question that popped in my head as I finally got to sit on the couch after putting the kids down for a nap. At the moment I didn't even want to think about it, I just wanted to relax with my latte and turn off my brain. Did I make Disciples today?.....the question kept repeating in my head. In what ways have I equipped my children to be disciples for the Lord? 
The one thing that I know for sure is that children are sponges! You hear this often, and if you have children or are around children in any way you understand what this means. What are my children soaking up from me? The other day Bret was looking for a little action figure. He frantically asked Layla where it was, she didn't know. He then came to me super serious and said "Where is my little guy!?" I don't know Bret, I haven't seen it. "What do you mean you don't know!?" I realized this conversation sounded familiar, just that morning I told Bret to find his shoes, when he replied he didn't know where they were I was quick to say "What do you mean you don't know!?" 
One More example: a few months ago Layla was putting her babies down for a nap. Layla walked down the hall opened the bedroom door and yelled "I said go Night Night!" Mother of the year award for that one! Children are sponges! I'm going to ask this question to myself again: What are my children soaking up from me? We need to be setting an example for our children. How are our children going to disciples for the Lord if we aren't fully committed to being disciples ourselves? One of the prayers I pray for my children is that they grow up to Love and serve the  Lord, that's what I want them to soak up from me. I want them to see my relationship with the Lord. I want them to see my struggle, I want them to see me face on the ground asking for forgiveness for my sins, I want them to know what God's grace feels like, what it feels like to know you need a Savior, and to know the only one that can fill that need is our precious Lord! 

Distractions are my weakness and oh goodness does the Devil love distractions! I like to call my distractions the "Mommy Pressure". The pressure to have everything together. How did we get the impression that to be a good Mom is to have everything together? I should rephrase that....Where did I get the impression? There have been times when the day is done and the kids are in bed I feel defeated by the day, like I used all my energy on everything that doesn't matter, when the only thing that does matter is what ways have I equipped my children to be disciples for the Lord?

Luke 18:16" Let the children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the Kingdom of God." 

My purpose as a Christ following Mother is to raise my children in the way of the Lord with the hope that they will one day be disciples for Jesus! 

Did you make disciples today? In what way have you equipped your children to be disciples for the Lord?

Be a disciple, make a disciple. 

Blessings, 
Danae


No comments:

Post a Comment